Monday, October 11, 2010

You Decide

So I have been sifting through my Facebook newsfeed and have realized that many people are either ignorant of reality or just plain ignorant. Now please don’t get me wrong or think that I am crawling up on my high horse to look down on those around me because that is not the case, however, it struck me in awe…..what is the world coming to? Now for something so simple as a social media network to show people’s blatant ignorance, are these the same people working 9-5 jobs, the same people making money off their education and knowledge and the same people with families and balanced lives? Do these people have an education? What are they hoping to achieve by speaking in blasphemy or even representing themselves the way they do. Could it be tied to something much deeper? Even a lack of self esteem, self confidence or “ignorance” of reality or people just being themselves?  In wanting to understand this more, I decided to research into ignorance. I thought about it from a logical standpoint.  Ignorance can be defined as a state of being uninformed; lacking in knowledge or education and/or untrained. This is merely a definition, however, speaks truth and highlights what I also took to be ignorance through this social media network. Unfortunately ignorance is everywhere we turn but from a deeper standpoint, we can see that although ignorance is in the human nature it can also be born through human nurture. The people we expose ourselves to, the experiences we have, our background, culture and education. All of these things contribute wholeheartedly to ignorance.  While people who go to college are educated and in tune with the world around them are STILL thriving throughout their ignorance or indulgent in it, baffles me. I also see ignorance as a choice at times. Some people choose to ignore or accept reality or if it affects their lives negatively, they may also choose to overlook various aspects in life. It makes me wonder, should we just be accepting of this ignorance or should we all look within ourselves to change our ways. It all starts with ourselves. If we cannot make a change, why should we expect others to do so? Ignorance is something both natural and nurtured. It is something that we all possess whether by accident or on purpose and it is something that can at times hold us back from the success we could have. So in your belief is ignorance a good thing or a bad thing? You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment